The Railway Consultancy Celebrates 10 Years of Trading
19th November 2005
The Railway Consultancy today celebrates 10 years of trading, specialising in the commercial and operational planning of railways.
Over that time, the company has helped nearly 150 client organisations with their plans for developing the railway. As well as Britain (where project locations have ranged from the Isle of Wight to Dundee, and from West Wales to Ashford in Kent), the Consultancy has worked in Eire, Norway, Denmark, and Sweden. In addition, in supporting the Railway Technology Strategy Centre at London's Imperial College, the company has participated in metro benchmarking work around the world.
Nigel G Harris, Managing Director, comments: "It is very rewarding to see a number of the projects with which we have been involved actually being used or built. SWT's refurbished trains are now entering service, whilst train service punctuality on both SWT and Southern has improved, partly due to the contributions we have made in the detailed identification of minor operating problems. The NACHs database which we helped populate is in daily use for attributing the impacts of operational failures between LUL and the InfraCos. The station for Liverpool's John Lennon Airport station is due to open next June, whilst work is also in hand in upgrading both Salford Central and St Helens Central stations."
"However, we are also disappointed to see that a number of promising projects have not progressed as we would wish, although we continue to work on a number of them. Especially with increasing oil prices and continuing congestion of the road network, Britain needs its railways, even if persistence is needed to take them forward."
"Looking back, we would not have expected so quickly to outlast both Railtrack and the Strategic Rail Authority, both of which were key customers of ours. However, we remain committed to working with our partners in the rail industry to deliver more, and better-quality, rail services into the future."
Notes to editors
1. The Railway Consultancy Ltd is a specialist railway planning consultancy established in 1995, and has particular expertise in:
- estimating the demand for new stations and services;
- operational planning and simulation;
- performance audits;
- the identification of railway business opportunities;
- economic and commercial issues;
- database population and management;
2. Its six market segments are:
- Network Rail;
- Transport for London and its subsidiaries;
- The DfT and local government bodies;
- Train operating companies;
- Foreign railways and metros;
- Other companies in the rail industry.
3. For further details contact Dr Nigel G Harris on 020 8676 0395.
Last updated: Sunday, 18th December 2016
© 1996-2017 The Railway Consultancy Ltd